As Tasmania's population grew after 1900, new fire brigades were established in other towns.
The first Hobart Fire station was established in Bathurst Street opposite its junction with Watchorn Street in 1859, with the current old Head station being built in 1911.
The Argyle Street headquarters building remained in service as a working fire station for 92 years until 2003. At that time all the Brigade’s operations moved into a new fire station in Melville Street.
All three ground floor engine bays are now used by the Tasmania Fire Museum.
The Argyle Street building celebrated its centenary in 2011.
Resources for TFS History
From the mid to late 1800's the provision of organised fire fighting services was limited to Tasmania's two main urban settlements; Hobart and Launceston, plus the township of Longford.
In this interactive timeline you can read about the many events that have helped shaped the Tasmania Fire Service over the past 125...
29 October, 1883
The Brigade was created by an Act of Parliament. For...